News | Entertainment
6 Apr 2025 7:52
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    An intruder caught in the grounds of Buckingham Palace twice in four days had tried to break in a month before, a court has heard

    Daniel Brydges was found by staff in the grounds of the royal residence in London on 18 and 22 December last year, but Westminster Magistrates' Court was told on Wednesday (12.10.22) he had also travelled from his Portsmouth home and tried to get into the palace on 15 November but was not charged


    The 33 year old admitted two counts of trespassing and damaging he barbed wire fence "belonging to the Queen's estate".

    Police at Buckingham Palace were first informed there was an "unknown man on the estate" at 5.43pm on 18 December and Brydges was found hiding in shrubbery on the West Terrace, though prosecutor Sudara Weerasena said it was "unknown how long he had been there before staff spotted him".

    She added: "He had climbed over the Royal Mews fence, he then scaled another fence bordering the gardens.

    "Whilst doing so, he caused criminal damage to the barbed wire fencing. He was then detained and arrested before being taken to the police station."

    The man was interviewed on 19 December and claimed he was homeless and looking for somewhere to sleep, but did not know he was trespassing in the palace grounds.

    However, three days later, he was spotted climbing over the main gate.

    The prosecutor said: "He stoops down behind a Land Rover and is seen looking around. He is then again challenged by a member of staff, before running off. He is then chased by palace officers and detained again."

    Brydges claimed he had returned to the palace to collect a bottle he had left the last time he was there, but he had also been identified trying to get into the residence grounds through a loading bay a month earlier.

    Sudara said: "He was challenged by staff and told them he was homeless and had travelled here from Hampshire."

    In addition, he had been identified as a "suspicious male" on the stairs of Thames House in Millbank on 11 December, with the prosecutor saying he was "challenged by staff - he again told them he was homeless and looking for somewhere to stay".

    Although he wasn't charged for the two earlier trespassing incidents, the prosecutor argued: "First and foremost, I draw attention to the fact his second offence was committed whilst on bail, and it is crucial to include each time he travels into London to trespass."

    District Judge Annabelle Pilling released him on bail and ordered reports to be made ahead of a sentencing hearing.

    She told him: "You have now pleaded guilty to these three offences. They are serious - they are more serious in your case as you committed an offence whilst on bail.

    "I need to know more about whether you will commit further offences in the future. I need to know whether you are someone who ignores rules by the police or the court.

    "I'm granting you bail with the same conditions as before - you are not to enter a royal palace or residence."

    © 2025 Bang Showbiz, NZCity

     Other Entertainment News
     05 Apr: Tom Cruise has paid tribute to his friend and 'Top Gun' co-star Val Kilmer
     05 Apr: Leigh-Anne Pinnock is devastated after losing both of her dogs within weeks of each other
     05 Apr: Antoine Fuqua's upcoming biopic on Michael Jackson may be split into two films
     05 Apr: Eva Mendes has paid tribute to her late brother on what would have been his 62nd birthday
     05 Apr: Jennifer Aniston has celebrated Pedro Pascal's 50th birthday with a special tribute on social media
     05 Apr: Olivia Munn has revealed the elaborate lie she told after learning John Mulaney was planning to propose to her
     05 Apr: Kanye West has suggested his wife has left him in the lyrics to a new song
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    The Highlanders acknowledge the Western Force will be brimming with belief heading into tonight's Super Rugby Pacific contest in Perth More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    A new law modernising the rules in our skies, comes into force today More...



     Today's News

    Motorsports:
    Liam Lawson has out-qualified stablemate Yuki Tsunoda , to start 13th and 14th respectively in tonight's Formula One Japanese Grand Prix at Suzuka  7:47

    Soccer:
    Nottingham Forest - without the injured Chris Wood - have lost 2-1 at Aston Villa, but still remain 3rd on the Premier League table 7:37

    General:
    Olympics boss promises affordable tickets for Brisbane 2032 7:27

    Politics:
    A Maori health organisation believes online casinos are targeting Maori communities 7:27

    Cricket:
    No joy for Kiwis in Indian Premier League cricket action overnight 7:17

    Health & Safety:
    New Zealanders are being urged to keep on top of their sleep as the clocks turn back 7:07

    Rugby League:
    The Paramatta Eels and Dolphins have both claimed their first wins of the NRL season 6:27

    Living & Travel:
    There's one new Mangawhai millionaire tonight, with a resident winning Lotto Strike Four 21:56

    Law and Order:
    Police staff and patrol cars are intentionally being rammed every second day across the country 21:16

    Rugby:
    The Highlanders acknowledge the Western Force will be brimming with belief heading into tonight's Super Rugby Pacific contest in Perth 18:56


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2025 New Zealand City Ltd