News | Entertainment
6 Apr 2025 7:04
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    Prince William promised to "look after" Catherine, Princess of Wales on his first official engagement since she revealed she had been diagnosed with cancer

    The 41-year-old royal helped out with loading and cooking at food distribution charity Surplus to Supper in Sudbury-on-Thames in Surrey on Thursday (18.04.24) and he appeared visibly moved when a volunteer handed him cards for his wife and his father, King Charles, who is also being treated for the disease


    William told Rachel Candappa: "Thank you, you are very kind".

    The 71-year-old volunteer told the prince to look after his wife and he put his hand on her shoulder as he promised: "I will".

    Speaking afterwards, Rachel admitted she didn't expect to be able to give the cards to William personally.

    She told the Daily Telegraph newspaper: "I was at home at 8.30 last night and I thought I had to do something this is a chance to give a card directly to the palace officials. I didn't think I'd be able to give the cards to William.

    "I said 'can I shake your hand', I loved it, he was very down to earth. I'm never washing my hand again.

    "He pointed at the food and said 'That's spaghetti hoops' and I asked 'How do you know about spaghetti hoops and he said 'I've got children'. "

    William watched as volunteers sorted out items including soaps, hand wash and make-up before pulling on an apron to help chef Mario Colfait, who was making bolognaise, chilli con carne and sausage casserole.

    He said: "It smells good in here Mario."

    The prince - who has three children with Catherine - joked he was worried about slicing off his fingers as he was handed a large knife to chop celery.

    He said: "It's the biggest knife, hope for the best. "I don't want to mess up everyone's lunch. I hope I haven't ruined your lunch, but you can blame me."

    As well as his efforts in the kitchen, William also privately gave the charity a box of unused food taken from the kitchen at his home in Windsor, Adelaide Cottage.

    Catherine announced in a video message on 22 March that she was being treated for cancer after the disease was detected following her abdominal surgery in January.

    © 2025 Bang Showbiz, NZCity

     Other Entertainment News
     05 Apr: Tom Cruise has paid tribute to his friend and 'Top Gun' co-star Val Kilmer
     05 Apr: Leigh-Anne Pinnock is devastated after losing both of her dogs within weeks of each other
     05 Apr: Antoine Fuqua's upcoming biopic on Michael Jackson may be split into two films
     05 Apr: Eva Mendes has paid tribute to her late brother on what would have been his 62nd birthday
     05 Apr: Jennifer Aniston has celebrated Pedro Pascal's 50th birthday with a special tribute on social media
     05 Apr: Olivia Munn has revealed the elaborate lie she told after learning John Mulaney was planning to propose to her
     05 Apr: Kanye West has suggested his wife has left him in the lyrics to a new song
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    The Highlanders acknowledge the Western Force will be brimming with belief heading into tonight's Super Rugby Pacific contest in Perth More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    A new law modernising the rules in our skies, comes into force today More...



     Today's News

    Rugby League:
    The Paramatta Eels and Dolphins have both claimed their first wins of the NRL season 6:27

    Living & Travel:
    There's one new Mangawhai millionaire tonight, with a resident winning Lotto Strike Four 21:56

    Law and Order:
    Police staff and patrol cars are intentionally being rammed every second day across the country 21:16

    Rugby:
    The Highlanders acknowledge the Western Force will be brimming with belief heading into tonight's Super Rugby Pacific contest in Perth 18:56

    Rugby:
    All Blacks Sevens coach Tomasi Cama admits the loss of leadership has been a challenge during their underwhelming World Series campaign 18:36

    International:
    Australian space tourist returns to Earth after private flight over the poles 18:16

    Rugby:
    Moana Pasifika have won back-to-back games for the first time in their Super Rugby Pacific history 18:06

    Rugby:
    All Blacks Sevens coach Tomasi Cama is pointing to the lack of sevens experience with which new players are entering the senior environment 17:36

    Christchurch:
    One person's seriously injured after two vehicles crashed on State Highway 1 in Sanson, near Palmerston North 17:36

    Motorsports:
    Liam Lawson's logged the 12th-fastest time in the final practice session before tomorrow's Japanese Grand Prix at Suzuka 16:57


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2025 New Zealand City Ltd