News | International
23 Feb 2026 2:18
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > International

    FBI releases surveillance pictures of masked man at Nancy Guthrie's home on morning she disappeared

    FBI director Kash Patel has posted the images on social media, saying they had been recovered after days of work by investigators.


    The FBI has released the first images of a man they wish to identify in relation to the suspected abduction of the mother of US TV host Savannah Guthrie.

    FBI director Kash Patel posted four images on X he said were of a man who appeared to have tampered with Nancy Guthrie's home camera in the early hours of February 1, the morning of her disappearance.

    The images show the man wearing a ski mask, gloves, a backpack and what appears to be a gun in a holster, approaching the front door of the 84-year-old's home.

    At one point in the video, the person appears to try to block the camera with foliage gathered nearby, then appears to damage it.

    The individual's head is down as he approaches the door, suggesting an awareness of the camera's location, a law enforcement official said.

    Mr Patel said authorities had been working to recover images or video that "may have been lost, corrupted, or inaccessible due to a variety of factors — including the removal of recording devices."

    "The video was recovered from residual data located in back-end systems," Mr Patel said on X.

    [TWEET]

    Investigators had been hopeful that cameras at the home would turn up some evidence about how she went missing, but the doorbell camera was disconnected early on Sunday in Arizona.

    While software data recorded movement at the home minutes later, Nancy Guthrie did not have an active subscription, so none of the footage could be recovered, Pima County Sheriff Chris Nanos had said.

    This is the first major break in an investigation that has raised more questions than answers, including whether the grandmother is still alive, and comes as law enforcement and her family intensify calls for assistance from the public.

    Authorities believe Nancy Guthrie was taken against her will from her house just outside Tucson.

    She was last seen there on January 31 and reported missing the next day after not attending church.

    DNA tests showed blood on Nancy Guthrie's front porch was a match to her, and a doorbell camera was disconnected in the early hours of Sunday morning, the sheriff had said.

    Ms Guthrie's pacemaker disconnected from her phone about half an hour later, he said.

    Authorities say Nancy Guthrie needs daily medication because she is said to have high blood pressure and heart issues.

    Until now, authorities have released few details, leaving it unclear if ransom notes demanding money with deadlines already passed were authentic and whether the Guthrie family has had any contact with the abductors.

    Savannah Guthrie posted several of the surveillance images with the caption: "We believe she is still alive. Bring her home," and phone numbers for the FBI and county sheriff. Within minutes, the post had thousands of comments.

    Guthrie family's message to kidnappers

    Ms Guthrie's family released a statement earlier this week appealing for more information, saying that they were confident she was still alive.

    Her daughter had also previously indicated she would pay a ransom in return for their mother.

    The family's first three videos addressed the kidnappers directly.

    But just ahead of the Monday deadline spelled out in one purported ransom note, Savannah Guthrie urged people nationwide to be on the lookout "no matter where you are, even if you're far from Tucson, if you see anything, if you hear anything".

    The mysterious disappearance and search has riveted the US, from President Donald Trump — who spoke with the presenter last week — to online sleuths who have flooded social media with theories.

    White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt began her press briefing on Tuesday, local time, by saying she and Mr Trump had just reviewed the newly released images in the case.

    "The president encourages any American across the country with any knowledge of the suspect to please call the FBI, who continue to assist state and local authorities who are leading this investigation on the ground," Ms Leavitt said.

    Multiple press outlets have received alleged ransom letters during the past week.

    At least one letter made monetary demands and set deadlines for payment.

    The first deadline passed last Thursday, but a second one was set for Monday, local time.

    Law enforcement officials declined to confirm the credibility of the letters but said all tips were being taken seriously.

    ABC/Wires

    © 2026 ABC Australian Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved

     Other International News
     22 Feb: Why has Donald Trump issued Keir Starmer a warning about the Chagos Islands?
     22 Feb: After a rare Supreme Court loss for Trump, here's his record with the bench
     22 Feb: Alisa Camplin-Warner calls for more funding after historic 2026 Milano Cortina Winter Olympics
     22 Feb: Australian underdogs edged out of mixed aerials team medals at 2026 Milano Cortina Games
     22 Feb: Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was the Queen's rumoured favourite. Did she do too much to protect him?
     22 Feb: On the frontlines of Australia's fight against vaccine hesitancy
     22 Feb: Predator Jeffrey Epstein used promises of university scholarships and modelling contracts to lure victims
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    The Crusaders have been demolished by the Brumbies 50-24 in Christchurch to close out the second week of Super Rugby More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Fifteen years on from the devastating Christchurch earthquake, belief light may finally be at the end of the tunnel More...



     Today's News

    Auckland:
    Citybound lanes on Auckland's North-Western motorway have now reopened following a two-vehicle crash 22:07

    Entertainment:
    James Van Der Beek was a "great leader on set", according to Algee Smith 21:47

    Motoring:
    There are serious injuries after a crash between a car and cyclist in Christchurch's Sumner 21:17

    Entertainment:
    Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been "released under investigation" 21:17

    Entertainment:
    Khloe Kardashian would "want to be married" before having any more kids 20:47

    Entertainment:
    Timothee Chalamet thinks AI is set to change the movie business 20:17

    Entertainment:
    Hailey Bieber has found fame to be "mentally exhausting" 19:47

    International:
    Why has Donald Trump issued Keir Starmer a warning about the Chagos Islands? 19:37

    Entertainment:
    Andrew Windsor has been slammed as "never a prince" by Virginia Giuffre's family 19:17

    Law and Order:
    Police are asking for public help to find John Joseph Paparoa, who is wanted in relation to dishonesty, assault and firearm-related offending 18:57


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2026 New Zealand City Ltd