News | International
23 Feb 2026 2:17
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > International

    Trump told police chief 'everyone' knew about Epstein, FBI document says

    Donald Trump allegedly told police in 2006 that people in New York knew about Epstein, a newly uncovered FBI interview shows.


    A newly uncovered FBI interview has raised new questions about US President Donald Trump's assertion he knew nothing about convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein's crimes. 

    Mr Trump's commerce secretary, Howard Lutnick, faced a barrage of questions from members of Congress on Tuesday, local time, about his own ties to the financier.

    The day's developments underscored how the fallout from the Epstein scandal remained a major political headache for the Trump administration.

    Millions of files recently released by the Justice Department have also created crises abroad after revealing new details of Epstein's ties to prominent people in politics, finance, business and academia.

    In July 2006, as Epstein's first sex crime charges became public, the police chief in Palm Beach, Florida, received a call from Mr Trump, according to the summary of a 2019 FBI interview with the police chief that was among the files.

    The police chief, Michael Reiter, cited Mr Trump as having told him: "Thank goodness you're stopping him, everyone has known he's been doing this."

    The president told Mr Reiter that people in New York knew about Epstein and advised him that Ghislaine Maxwell, Epstein's associate, was "evil," according to the document.

    Mr Reiter also said Mr Trump told him he had once been around Epstein when teenagers were present and that he "got the hell out of there".

    Asked about the reported conversation, the Justice Department said: "We are not aware of any corroborating evidence that the president contacted law enforcement 20 years ago."

    The president was friends with Epstein for years, but they had a falling out before Epstein's first arrest, Mr Trump has said.

    Mr Trump has repeatedly said he was unaware of Epstein's crimes.

    White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt told reporters on Tuesday, local time that Mr Trump had been "honest and transparent" about ending his association with Epstein.

    "It was a phone call that may or may not have happened in 2006," she said.

    "I don't know the answer to that question."

    Lutnick denies any relationship

    Separately on Tuesday, Mr Lutnick sought to distance himself from Epstein while testifying at a Senate hearing, saying he "barely had anything to do with" him.

    Records showed Mr Lutnick's plans to have lunch with Epstein on his private island in 2012, seven years after he claimed to have cut off all ties.

    The revelations have prompted calls from both Republicans and Democrats for him to resign.

    Mr Lutnick told senators that the two men had met only three times over 14 years and that the lunch, which included his family, occurred simply because he was on a boat near the island.

    "I know and my wife knows that I have done absolutely nothing wrong in any possible regard," Mr Lutnick said.

    But the emails contradicted Mr Lutnick's previous statements that he vowed in 2005 never to see Epstein again, after Epstein, his neighbour at the time, showed Lutnick a massage table at his townhouse and made a sexually suggestive comment.

    Republican representative Tom Massie told CNN on Sunday that Lutnick should "make life easier on the president, frankly, and just resign".

    Ms Leavitt told reporters at the White House on Tuesday, local time, that the president "fully supports" Mr Lutnick.

    Congressional Democrats also introduced legislation on Tuesday intended to make it easier for adult victims of sex trafficking to sue their abusers, even many years later.

    Senate Democratic leader Chuck Schumer and Representative Teresa Leger Fernandez announced the bill alongside Epstein victims and Virginia Giuffre's family.

    The proposal — Virginia's Law — is named after Giuffre, one of Epstein's most prominent accusers, who died by suicide last year.

    Epstein was found dead in a New York jail cell in 2019 while awaiting trial. While officially ruled a suicide, his death has prompted years of conspiracy theories, including some that Trump himself amplified to his supporters during his 2024 presidential campaign.

    Maxwell, who is serving a 20-year sentence for her role in helping Epstein abuse teenage girls, sat for a deposition before the US House's oversight committee on Monday but refused to answer any questions.

    Reuters


    ABC




    © 2026 ABC Australian Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved

     Other International News
     22 Feb: Why has Donald Trump issued Keir Starmer a warning about the Chagos Islands?
     22 Feb: After a rare Supreme Court loss for Trump, here's his record with the bench
     22 Feb: Alisa Camplin-Warner calls for more funding after historic 2026 Milano Cortina Winter Olympics
     22 Feb: Australian underdogs edged out of mixed aerials team medals at 2026 Milano Cortina Games
     22 Feb: Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was the Queen's rumoured favourite. Did she do too much to protect him?
     22 Feb: On the frontlines of Australia's fight against vaccine hesitancy
     22 Feb: Predator Jeffrey Epstein used promises of university scholarships and modelling contracts to lure victims
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    The Crusaders have been demolished by the Brumbies 50-24 in Christchurch to close out the second week of Super Rugby More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Fifteen years on from the devastating Christchurch earthquake, belief light may finally be at the end of the tunnel More...



     Today's News

    Auckland:
    Citybound lanes on Auckland's North-Western motorway have now reopened following a two-vehicle crash 22:07

    Entertainment:
    James Van Der Beek was a "great leader on set", according to Algee Smith 21:47

    Motoring:
    There are serious injuries after a crash between a car and cyclist in Christchurch's Sumner 21:17

    Entertainment:
    Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been "released under investigation" 21:17

    Entertainment:
    Khloe Kardashian would "want to be married" before having any more kids 20:47

    Entertainment:
    Timothee Chalamet thinks AI is set to change the movie business 20:17

    Entertainment:
    Hailey Bieber has found fame to be "mentally exhausting" 19:47

    International:
    Why has Donald Trump issued Keir Starmer a warning about the Chagos Islands? 19:37

    Entertainment:
    Andrew Windsor has been slammed as "never a prince" by Virginia Giuffre's family 19:17

    Law and Order:
    Police are asking for public help to find John Joseph Paparoa, who is wanted in relation to dishonesty, assault and firearm-related offending 18:57


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2026 New Zealand City Ltd