News | Local Politics
20 Feb 2026 6:04
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Local Politics

    Agents involved in Alex Pretti killing put on leave as Trump says mayor is 'playing with fire'

    The Trump administration is trying to manage a national uproar over Alex Pretti's killing and officials' subsequent comments about the 37-year-old nurse, who they accused of "domestic terrorism".


    Two US agents who fired on Alex Pretti in Minneapolis have been placed on leave as the Trump administration continues to face national outrage over the protester's death.

    Meanwhile, a shaky political truce between President Donald Trump and local leaders appears to be deteriorating after the US president warned the mayor was "playing with fire".

    US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) said the two officers had been on "administrative leave" since Saturday, when Mr Pretti was shot dead during a protest against a local immigration crackdown.

    A CBP spokesperson told the ABC it was "standard protocol" for the agents to be placed on leave. The agency has not said if action has been taken in relation to other agents involved.

    US government workers placed on administrative leave continue to be paid, including when their conduct is under investigation, according to a government fact sheet.

    The confirmation contradicts an earlier statement by Border Patrol commander Greg Bovino, a leader of the operations in Minnesota, who said on Sunday the agents were still working but could be assigned to administrative duties.

    Mr Bovino has since been redeployed from Minnesota. Mr Trump described him as a "pretty out-there kind of guy" and said: "Maybe that wasn't good here."

    A preliminary report on Tuesday, local time, undermined officials' earlier suggestions that Mr Pretti was an aggressor who brandished a gun — claims that were also contradicted by bystander video.

    The CBP report said two agents fired at Mr Pretti after he refused to follow an order to move out of the street.

    'Playing with fire'

    White House border tsar Tom Homan is now leading operations on the ground. Mr Trump said his deployment meant "we can start doing maybe a little bit more relaxed".

    "We'd like to finish the job and finish it well, and I think we can do it in a de-escalated form," he told ABC America.

    But he was apparently angered by comments from Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey, who said local officers would not enforce federal immigration laws and would instead "remain focused on keeping our neighbours and streets safe".

    Mr Trump said he was surprised by Mr Frey's comments after they had "a very good conversation" a day earlier.

    "Could someone in his inner sanctum please explain that this statement is a very serious violation of the Law, and that he is PLAYING WITH FIRE!" Mr Trump wrote on Truth Social.

    In response, Mr Frey wrote on X that he wanted local police "preventing homicides, not hunting down a working dad who contributes to [Minneapolis] and is from Ecuador".


    ABC




    © 2026 ABC Australian Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved

     Other Local Politics News
     18 Feb: Dozens of Canterbury kids spent a night hunkering down in Banks Peninsula - which was cut off by yesterday's torrential rain
     13 Feb: Hamilton City Council's putting 1.7-million dollars into future zoo expansion
     12 Feb: The Local Government Minister's flagged concerns over a sharp rates increase in Christchurch
     09 Feb: Christchurch's Mayor says feedback on the new metro sports centre has been largely positive, despite some early challenges
     08 Feb: Wellington officials are pushing for an investigation into the city's wastewater infrastructure
     05 Feb: Dunedin City Council's slammed what it calls 'false and misleading' claims about natural hazards in South Dunedin
     04 Feb: Auckland Mayor Wayne Brown's defending a surge in Auckland Council consultant costs
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    A Sky Sport Now subscription's about to become more costly More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Confidence green pastures lie ahead for Fonterra, as the sale of brands like Anchor and Mainland nears completion More...



     Today's News

    Law and Order:
    Christchurch residents can expect an increased Police presence in Northcote, after a gang-related firearm incident on Hoani Street 5:37

    International:
    Tracking the US military build-up ahead of possible Iran attack 4:36

    Soccer:
    Auckland FC gaffer Steve Corica is pivoting to a game plan without Sam Cosgrove for Saturday's derby against the Phoenix in Wellington 21:57

    Accident and Emergency:
    St John is assessing 19 patients after a chemical incident in Horowhenua's Levin this evening 21:17

    Law and Order:
    South Korea's ex-president Yoon Suk Yeol sentenced to life in prison over insurrection 21:07

    Law and Order:
    In her memoir, Gisèle Pelicot reveals the secret love behind France's most infamous rape trial 20:37

    General:
    Winter Olympics 2026 quick guide: What to watch on Day 13 20:07

    General:
    What is Skimo? The sport preparing to steal the show at the 2026 Milano Cortina Winter Olympic Games 19:17

    Cricket:
    New Zealand cricket captain Mitch Santner has no qualms about changing countries for the next stage of the T20 World Cup 18:57

    Politics:
    The Government's pushing ahead with plans for a mega-ministry 18:37


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2026 New Zealand City Ltd