News | Entertainment
30 Aug 2025 11:40
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    George Clooney is said to have been forced to scale back his commitments at the Venice Film Festival after falling ill on the opening day

    The Oscar-winning actor, 64, who is starring in Noah Baumbach's competition film Jay Kelly, ended his Wednesday (27.08.25) press junket early and did not attend a private dinner with cast, crew and Netflix ex ecutives, it has now emerged,


    Insiders told The Hollywood Reporter George began to feel unwell in the afternoon and was advised to return to his accommodation to rest ahead of Thursday's press conference and world premiere.

    The actor was photographed leaving the Hotel Excelsior by boat at around 4pm.

    His absence meant he missed a dinner with director Noah Baumbach, 55, and co-stars Adam Sandler, 58, and Laura Dern, also 58.

    The nature of his illness has not been disclosed, but sources have stressed it was "nothing to worry about".

    Hours earlier, George had been seen arriving at the Lido with Laura, dressed in a navy suit, striped shirt and tinted sunglasses.

    George's health scare comes after he recently discussed his future plans in acting.

    In March, he told CBS News programme 60 Minutes he would no longer appear in romantic comedies.

    He said: "Look, I'm 63 years old. I'm not trying to compete with 25-year-old leading men. That's not my job. I'm not doing romantic films anymore."

    He was speaking ahead of his Broadway debut in Good Night, And Good Luck, an adaptation of his 2005 Oscar-nominated film of the same name.

    George plays journalist Edward R Murrow in the stage production, which recounts Murrow's televised confrontation with Senator Joseph McCarthy during the "Second Red Scare" of the 1950s.

    He said: "It's exciting to be (on Broadway.) Let's not kid ourselves. It's nerve-wracking. And there's a million reasons why it's dumb to do.

    "It's dumb to do because you're coming out and saying, 'Well, let's try to get an audience to take this ride with you back to 1954'."

    Reflecting on the relationship between government and the press, George said: "We're seeing this idea of using government to scare or fine, or use corporations to make journalists smaller.

    "Governments don't like the freedom of the press, they never have. And that goes for whether you are a conservative or a liberal or whatever side you're on. They don't like the press."

    The lifelong Democrat also spoke about his decision to call on Joe Biden, 82, to step aside from the last U.S. presidential race after his debate with Donald Trump, 79.

    George said: "I was raised to tell the truth. I had seen the president up close for this fundraiser, and I was surprised. And so, I feel as if there was a lot of... cowardice in my party, through all of that, and I was not proud of that, and I also believed I had to tell the truth."

    © 2025 Bang Showbiz, NZCity

     Other Entertainment News
     30 Aug: Austin Butler plans to "disappear" after the Caught Stealing press tour
     30 Aug: Sabrina Carpenter's new album is "not for any pearl clutchers"
     30 Aug: Rachel Zegler feels "indebted" to Steven Spielberg
     30 Aug: Henry Winkler thought his "life [was] over" when Ron Howard quit Happy Days
     30 Aug: Emma Heming Willis made the "hardest decision" by moving her husband Bruce Willis into a separate home
     30 Aug: Travis Kelce's mother has publicly shown her support for his engagement to Taylor Swift
     30 Aug: Denise Van Outen is unveiling her first album since 2003
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    The Black Ferns have rallied around loose forward Kaipo Olsen-Baker ahead of their second Rugby World Cup match against Japan in Exeter More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Hopes the Reserve Bank Chair's decision to step down will put an end to the debacle surrounding the former Governor's resignation More...



     Today's News

    Motorsports:
    Racing Bulls driver Liam Lawson is determined to produce strong results for his team at Formula One's Dutch Grand Prix  11:37

    Rugby:
    The Black Ferns have rallied around loose forward Kaipo Olsen-Baker ahead of their second Rugby World Cup match against Japan in Exeter 11:27

    Entertainment:
    Austin Butler plans to "disappear" after the Caught Stealing press tour 11:16

    Politics:
    Infrastructure New Zealand says National and Labour should come together to back longer parliamentary and council terms 11:07

    Business:
    Hopes the Reserve Bank Chair's decision to step down will put an end to the debacle surrounding the former Governor's resignation 10:47

    Rugby League:
    Another game, another heap of praise from Warriors coach Andrew Webster for teenager Leka Halasima despite their 26-22 NRL defeat by the Eels at Mt Smart 10:47

    Entertainment:
    Sabrina Carpenter's new album is "not for any pearl clutchers" 10:46

    Politics:
    Hobson's Pledge is defending its decision to use Rotorua's Mayor in its campaign against Maori wards, without her permission 10:27

    Entertainment:
    Rachel Zegler feels "indebted" to Steven Spielberg 10:16

    International:
    Journalists in Gaza say they feel their lives are 'worth nothing' 10:07


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2025 New Zealand City Ltd