News | International
1 Sep 2025 9:10
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > International

    Three dead after angry mob sets fire to parliament building in Indonesia

    The building was set alight on Friday night which caused the area to turn an eerie orange colour.


    New Zealand Parliament
    New Zealand Parliament

    At least three people have been killed and five have been hospitalised after an angry mob set fire to a local parliament building in an Indonesian provincial capital.

    The blaze in Makassar, the capital city of South Sulawesi province, began late on Friday, local time.

    Television reports showed the provincial council building ablaze overnight, causing the area to turn an eerie orange colour.

    Rescuers had retrieved three bodies by Saturday morning, while five people were hospitalised with burns or with broken bones after jumping from the building, local disaster official Fadli Tahar said.

    Protesters in West Java's Bandung city also set a regional parliament ablaze on Friday, but no casualties were reported. 

    In Surabaya, Indonesia's second-largest city, protesters stormed the regional police headquarters after destroying fences and torching vehicles. 

    Security forces fired tear gas and used water cannons, but demonstrators fought back with fireworks and wooden clubs.

    Foreign embassies in Jakarta, including the US, Australia and South-East Asian countries, have advised their citizens in Indonesia to avoid demonstration areas or large public gatherings.

    Calm largely returned to Indonesia's capital on Saturday as authorities cleaned up burned-out cars, police offices and bus shelters that were set ablaze by angry protesters.

    Indonesian President Prabowo Subianto has cancelled a planned trip to China after the days of protests.

    He was heading to China to attend a "Victory Day" parade on September 3 to mark the 80th anniversary of the end of World War II.

    "The president wants to continue monitoring [the situation]," spokesperson Prasetyo Hadi said.

    "The president apologises to the Chinese government that he could not attend."

    Five days of protests began in Jakarta on Monday, sparked by reports that all 580 politicians would receive a monthly housing allowance of 50 million rupiah ($4,650) in addition to their salaries. 

    The allowance, introduced last year, is almost 10 times the Jakarta minimum wage.

    Critics argue the new allowance is not only excessive but also insensitive at a time when most people are grappling with soaring living costs and taxes and rising unemployment.

    The protests grew wider and more violent following the death of 21-year-old ride-hailing driver Affan Kurniawan.

    A video on social media, apparently showing his death during a rally in the capital Jakarta on Thursday, shocked the nation and spurred an outcry against the security forces.

    Kurniawan was reportedly completing a food delivery order when he was caught in the clash. 

    Witnesses told local television that the armoured car from the National Police's Mobile Brigade unit suddenly sped through the crowd of demonstrators and hit Kurniawan, causing him to fall. 

    Instead of stopping, the car ran over him.

    On Saturday, hundreds of ride-hailing drivers and students in Bali staged a solidarity demonstration over Kurniawan's death in a rare protest on the tourist island. 

    They called for police reform and the release of those arrested during the protests.

    Protesters marched to Bali's regional police headquarters and riot police fired rounds of tear gas at them to push back those who tried to reach the heavily guarded compound.

    The protesters responded by throwing rocks, bottles and flares.

    Clashes erupt in multiple cities

    Clashes between riot police and protesters erupted in multiple cities across Indonesia on Friday, including in Medan, Solo, Yogyakarta, Magelang, Malang, Bengkulu, Pekanbaru and Manokwari in the easternmost Papua region.

    Some 950 people were arrested in rallies in Jakarta alone by Thursday, according to the National Commission on Human Rights.

    Authorities said about 25 officers were hospitalised with serious injuries after being attacked by protesters in Jakarta. 

    The National Commission on Human Rights believed that the number of injured people on the community side is much bigger.

    Amnesty International criticised Indonesia's government on Saturday, saying it suppresses free speech with crackdowns on public protests.

    "No one should lose their lives for exercising their right to protest," said Usman Hamid, the Executive Director of Amnesty International Indonesia. 

    "The authorities must immediately and unconditionally release anyone detained solely for exercising their rights," he said.

    Wires/ABC


    ABC




    © 2025 ABC Australian Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved

     Other International News
     01 Sep: This man has spoken to the Kremlin. He says Putin 'wants to keep war going'
     01 Sep: WA police officer ignored Aboriginal prisoner's suicide threat days before his death in custody
     31 Aug: No Spend September is kicking off on social media to help people save
     31 Aug: Molly's death scene on A Country Practice is iconic. Anne Tenney and Shane Withington have never spoken together till now
     31 Aug: Police seize more than $70m in tobacco and vape products in historic bust
     31 Aug: 'Boot camps' and early intervention part of NT government's plan to prevent youth crime
     31 Aug: These pro-Palestine activists spoke up. A 'nefarious' website is now after them
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    To the All Blacks casualty ward More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    A game-changer for smaller airlines that don't want to up prices, amid soaring aviation costs More...



     Today's News

    Motorsports:
    To the latest Indycar event in Tennessee 9:07

    Rugby:
    To the All Blacks casualty ward 8:07

    Cricket:
    Tim Seifert has hit the joint fastest hundred in Caribbean Premier League cricket history 8:07

    Business:
    A game-changer for smaller airlines that don't want to up prices, amid soaring aviation costs 7:57

    Motoring:
    The Black Ferns have secured a World Cup rugby quarter-final berth, beating Japan 62-19 at Exeter 7:37

    International:
    This man has spoken to the Kremlin. He says Putin 'wants to keep war going' 7:27

    Business:
    Confidence has softened only slightly from New Zealanders wanting to buy property 7:27

    Health & Safety:
    A plea to fully fund meningococcal vaccines for all young people 7:17

    Law and Order:
    WA police officer ignored Aboriginal prisoner's suicide threat days before his death in custody 7:07

    Basketball:
    A successful two wins from two pre-season for the basketball's Breakers after beating the Cairns Taipans 94-75 in Canberra as part of the NBL Blitz 6:37


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2025 New Zealand City Ltd