News | International
4 Apr 2025 5:14
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > International

    Myanmar military announces temporary ceasefire in civil war to help rebuilding efforts after devastating earthquake

    State-run media in Myanmar announced the military's ceasefire call, which comes after days of pressure from international aid groups and humanitarian organisations.



    Myanmar's ruling military has announced a temporary ceasefire against rebel groups across the country following last week's devastating earthquake that has now killed more than 3,000 people.

    State-run media reported that the army wouldn't undertake operations against armed opponents between April 2 and April 22.

    In a statement, the military said the decision was made "with the aim of speeding up relief and reconstruction efforts, and maintaining peace and stability."

    The number of people killed by Friday's 7.7-magnitude earthquake has risen to 3,003, with more than 4,500 others injured according to state-run media.

    The military's call comes after other rebel groups, which had been fighting the military since it ousted the democratically-elected government in 2021, unilaterally announced their own ceasefires in recent days.

    The temporary peace call in the bloody civil war comes after days of pressure from international aid and humanitarian groups, which have said a ceasefire is critical to delivering aid to those in need.

    Myanmar's military junta admitted to firing warning shots at a Chinese Red Cross aid convoy on Wednesday, saying the group hadn't told them they were operating in a combat zone.

    In the days following the earthquake, as people searched for loved ones, the military was also accused of continuing air strikes in the country.

    Locals have also accused the military of hampering aid efforts in the days following the disaster.

    The full extent of damage in the country remained unclear, with many areas without power, telephone or internet connections, and are difficult to reach by road.

    Aid groups are concerned about a growing hunger crisis in the country, saying food, clean water and medicines are urgently needed.

    Most of the damage caused by the earthquake has centred around the country's two major cities, Mandalay, and the capital Naypyidaw, but more reports are slowly emerging of significant damage elsewhere.

    In Singu township, about 65 kilometres north of Mandalay, 27 gold miners were killed in a cave-in, the independent Democratic Voice of Burma reported.

    Junta leader going to Thailand

    Despite the massive ongoing relief efforts, state media reported that junta chief Min Aung Hlaing was travelling to Thailand on Thursday for a meeting of South Asian leaders.

    MRTV reported that he would brief leaders in Bangkok about recovery and rebuilding efforts after the earthquake. 

    Leaders from Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Myanmar, Nepal, Sri Lanka and Thailand will be at the conference.

    His attendance at the summit is something of a diplomatic coup for the isolated government, as it breaks with a regional policy of not inviting junta leaders to major events since the military seized power in 2021.

    The Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) regional bloc has not invited him to its gatherings since he took power.

    ABC/wires


    ABC




    © 2025 ABC Australian Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved

     Other International News
     04 Apr: What Donald Trump's tariffs could mean for Australian exports
     03 Apr: Cook Islands prime minister wants to rework ties to NZ to be more independent
     03 Apr: What we know about Qatargate scandal surrounding Netanyahu government
     03 Apr: How chef Brian Cole juggles late nights, stressful shifts and fatherhood
     03 Apr: Liverpool beats Everton 1-0 in Merseyside derby to extend Premier League lead to 12 points
     03 Apr: Donald Trump's new tariffs could have some upsides for us here in New Zealand
     03 Apr: How Top Gun sparked a decades-long bond between Tom Cruise and Val Kilmer
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Beauden Barrett's lauding the quality of Super Rugby Pacific this year - even as the Blues' title defence is in the mire More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    What Donald Trump's tariffs could mean for Australian exports More...



     Today's News

    Business:
    What Donald Trump's tariffs could mean for Australian exports 4:37

    Rugby:
    Beauden Barrett's lauding the quality of Super Rugby Pacific this year - even as the Blues' title defence is in the mire 21:57

    Entertainment:
    Paul Rudd doesn't think he's "particularly nice" 21:48

    Entertainment:
    Val Kilmer has died 21:18

    Accident and Emergency:
    The Transport Accident Investigation Commission believes emergency service delays didn't contribute to a fatal boat capsize in 2022 21:17

    Politics:
    Cook Islands prime minister wants to rework ties to NZ to be more independent 21:07

    Entertainment:
    Kylie Kelce has given birth to her fourth child 20:48

    Entertainment:
    Charlie Sheen's daughter Sami hasn't spoken to him "in five months" 20:18

    Entertainment:
    John Cena has been diagnosed with skin cancer twice 19:48

    Entertainment:
    Kim Delaney will not face charges following her recent arrest on suspicion of felony assault 19:18


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2025 New Zealand City Ltd