News | International
30 Aug 2025 12:44
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > International

    Journalists in Gaza say they feel their lives are 'worth nothing'

    Israel has killed 240 Palestinian journalists, according to a local union. Those still standing say "no one is safe".


    Today was not Nour Swiriki's turn to die.

    That's what she and her journalist colleagues tell each other after surviving yet another Israeli attack in Gaza.

    "Today is not your turn," they say.

    "Your turn might be tomorrow or after tomorrow."

    For the past 22 months, the El Sharq TV journalist has continued reporting as Israel has killed 240 of her colleagues — according to the Palestinian Journalists Syndicate (PJS).

    The 37-year-old has had to document their targeted and indiscriminate killings, all while trying to survive relentless Israeli bombardment, displacement — and starvation too.

    "Many of us were killed, others were injured, others lost their limbs," Ms Swikiri said.

    "One of us was burnt alive in front of the world, another had his head blown out."

    Swiriki is now one of more than 800 Palestinian media workers left in Gaza, according to PJS.

    She said those remaining felt like they were in a "queue to death".

    "I feel that the blood of Palestinian journalists, especially those in Gaza, has become very cheap," Swiriki said.

    'My life is worth nothing to the world'

    Since October 2023, Swiriki and her husband, fellow journalist Salem El Rayyes, have been displaced so many times, they can never truly feel settled anywhere.

    Their lives were "flipped upside down" in April last year when they decided to evacuate their children, 12-year-old Jamal and 14-year-old Aliaa, to Cairo, where they could live safely with Swiriki's family.

    The couple planned to join their children a month or two later, but they have been stranded in Gaza since the Rafah crossing was shut down.

    As a result, she has not seen or held her children in 16 months.

    "Why am I forced — under Israeli fire — to hide my children, to have them away from my embrace and have them grow up away from me because I chose to be a journalist?" she said.

    Swiriki said making it through a workday as a journalist in Gaza felt like a miracle, with so much of her time spent figuring out how to survive.

    "What are we going to do so we can live? How are we going to get food today? What are the prices at supermarkets today? How am I going to get to work?" she said.

    Under international humanitarian law, journalists are classified as civilians and are therefore protected from being targeted during armed conflict.

    Still, Swirki said Palestinian journalists were not afforded this protection.

    "In other wars, the vest and helmets are signs to keep open fire away. This is the norm in the world but not in Gaza," the journalist said.

    "It tells me one thing — that my life is worth nothing to the world."

    Hospitals repeatedly targeted in strikes

    Journalist Mazen Breem is a camera operator for Al Ghad TV who has been living in a tent behind Nasser Hospital for more than a year — one of the last remaining hospitals in Khan Yunis in southern Gaza.

    In Gaza, most journalists work in tents around hospitals, relying on its electricity and internet access to carry out their reporting.

    These hospitals were once presumed to offer a measure of safety, but have been repeatedly targeted by Israeli strikes over the past 22 months.

    Nasser Hospital is the same hospital where Breem witnessed Israel kill 22 people on Monday, including five of his journalist colleagues — Hussam al-Masri, Mariam Abu Dagga, Mohammed Salama, Moaz Abu Taha and Ahmed Abu Aziz.

    Initial reporting said the hospital was struck twice, with the second strike hitting as journalists and rescue crews arrived at the scene and tried to evacuate those injured and killed.

    BBC Verify has reported that the hospital was instead struck four times, with two staircases believed to have been struck nearly simultaneously in the first wave, followed by another two strikes on the same place just fractions of a second apart.

    Breem saw his now slain journalist colleagues moving quickly to level four of the hospital when the second strike hit — a staircase often used by the press for better connectivity.

    "All the journalists go, 'Oh my god, oh my god, now the Israelis killed the journalists, and killed the firemen and killed the doctors,'" Breem said.

    International law experts constitute a double strike as a war crime as it violates the Geneva Conventions of 1949 prohibiting the targeting of civilians and the wounded.

    A preliminary investigation released by the Israel Defense Forces said the strike was targeting a "Hamas camera" but it did not provide any evidence for the claim or acknowledge its second attack.

    The Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ) is calling for the strikes to be independently investigated as an apparent war crime.

    "Israel's initial report … does not explain why an Israeli tank fired on Reuters camera operator Hussam Al-Masri and the news agency's visible, live-feed camera that had been filming from that location daily for several weeks," CPJ chief executive Jodie Ginsberg said.

    "Nor does it explain why first responders — including other journalists — were targeted in an apparent so-called 'double tap' strike on the same location."

    Earlier this month, Al Jazeera's entire Gaza City news crew was killed in a single targeted attack.

    Israel also provided no credible evidence to its claims that Palestinian journalist Anas al-Sharif was working for Hamas.

    According to the CPJ, no one in the Israeli military has ever been held accountable for a journalist killing over the past 20 years.

    In May 2023, CPJ released a report stating that Israel had demonstrated a "deadly pattern" of using lethal force against journalists and failed to hold perpetrators accountable.

    Breem, who is also a father of five, says he has been working non-stop for the past two years, and knows no-one is safe in Gaza.

    "The war kill everyone … the baby, the woman, the man," he said.

    "The building, the trees … everything dies here … the animals."

    'We are being hunted and killed in Gaza while you watch in silence'

    Israel has banned international media from independently entering Gaza since October 7, 2023.

    Palestinian journalists in Gaza have been left to carry the burden, and many are calling for foreign media organisations and governments to apply greater pressure on Israel to allow international journalists into the Strip.

    Breem agreed international journalists have not been "angry" enough in their demands for Israel to open its borders.

    "All journalists say we need to help the journalists in Gaza," he said.

    "We don't need sound. We need [them] to come here — to record the video and take a photo and publish this story."

    Other Gazan reporters have refused to speak to foreign media at all, including Hind Khoudary, who vowed she would not speak to them about the killing of Palestinian journalists.

    Last month, news agency Agence France-Presse — joined by Associated Press, BBC News and Reuters — asked Israel to allow the immediate evacuation of its freelance contributors and their families from Gaza, after they said they were struggling to work due to the threat of hunger.

    Now Reuters has vowed to stop sharing the locations of its teams in Gaza with the IDF, after its camera operator was one of the five journalists killed at Nasser Hospital.

    For Swiriki, the work on the ground continues.

    Her biggest dream is for the killing and destruction to end, and to finally reunite with her two children.

    "I wouldn't dare to dream of more than that," she said.

    "I miss hugging them. I want to have them sleep in my arms. I just miss living as a human who has the right to live these emotions."


    ABC




    © 2025 ABC Australian Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved

     Other International News
     30 Aug: Vladimir Putin says he wants peace, but on the front lines in Ukraine there's a different, 'terrifying' reality
     30 Aug: Indonesian protests spread as anger grows over death of motorcycle driver who hit by police car
     30 Aug: Israeli troops retrieve bodies of two hostages held in Gaza
     29 Aug: Indonesia's democracy faces 'setback' after police clash with protesters
     29 Aug: Zelenskyy says you can't hold an election during a war. Is this true?
     29 Aug: The most common issues these sex therapists see
     29 Aug: Daria Kasatkina fights through cramps to advance at US Open as Jannik Sinner downs Alexei Popyrin
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    The Black Ferns have rallied around loose forward Kaipo Olsen-Baker ahead of their second Rugby World Cup match against Japan in Exeter More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Hopes the Reserve Bank Chair's decision to step down will put an end to the debacle surrounding the former Governor's resignation More...



     Today's News

    Politics:
    One New Zealand is bringing mobile services and technology to the frontline of conservation 12:27

    Entertainment:
    George Clooney thinks he's been the "recipient of a lot of luck" in his life 12:16

    Rugby League:
    Warriors coach Andrew Webster is unfazed by the possibility of his side falling out of the NRL's top four 11:57

    Entertainment:
    Maren Morris has witnessed fans "healing from [her] healing" following her divorce 11:46

    Motorsports:
    Racing Bulls driver Liam Lawson is determined to produce strong results for his team at Formula One's Dutch Grand Prix  11:37

    Rugby:
    The Black Ferns have rallied around loose forward Kaipo Olsen-Baker ahead of their second Rugby World Cup match against Japan in Exeter 11:27

    Entertainment:
    Austin Butler plans to "disappear" after the Caught Stealing press tour 11:16

    Politics:
    Infrastructure New Zealand says National and Labour should come together to back longer parliamentary and council terms 11:07

    Business:
    Hopes the Reserve Bank Chair's decision to step down will put an end to the debacle surrounding the former Governor's resignation 10:47

    Rugby League:
    Another game, another heap of praise from Warriors coach Andrew Webster for teenager Leka Halasima despite their 26-22 NRL defeat by the Eels at Mt Smart 10:47


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2025 New Zealand City Ltd