News | Entertainment
30 Aug 2025 9:50
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    Katy Perry has been slammed by the family of the ailing Army veteran she is battling in court

    The singer, 40, has been pursuing $6 million in damages in a long-running legal dispute over a $15 million mansion in California and has been locked in a legal battle with Carl Westcott, 85, over the cash - a terminally ill veteran who is bedridden with an incurable brain disorder


    Katy is seeking compensation for alleged property damage and back rent, while Carl continues to fight for the remainder of the purchase price for the Montecito home.

    Carl's son Chart Westcott has now told The US Sun about the dispute: "Katy talks about seeking 'justice', but for five years my family has endured a painful legal battle while our father, a mentally disabled 85-year-old Army veteran, is in declining health.

    "The real buyer (of the mansion) was (Katy's ex-partner) Orlando Bloom, yet that only came to light years later.

    "Katy already owns multiple homes in Montecito and has extraordinary wealth.

    "She could live anywhere in the world, but she chose to press forward in a way that has deeply hurt our family. We wish there had been more empathy, more humanity, and more understanding."

    The dispute dates back to 2020, when Katy agreed to purchase the 2.5-acre estate for $15 million in cash, using her business manager Bernie Gudvi as her agent.

    At the time, she already owned three properties in the Santa Barbara area.

    Days after signing the contract, Carl attempted to rescind the sale, saying he was under the influence of painkillers when he signed.

    He sought to void the contract, but Katy and her then-partner Orlando Bloom, 48 (born 13 January 1977), contested the claim and won.

    Carl received $9 million from the transaction but maintains he is owed the remaining $6 million.

    Katy is pursuing $2.5 million in alleged property damage and $3.5 million in lost rental income, though her legal team later reduced the damages claim to $1.3 million.

    In court this week, Katy was asked whether she stood to gain financially from the case.

    She said: "Yes... justice. I stand to lose money if it does not work in my favour."

    Pressed again on her financial interest, she added: "My financial stake could be lost money, lawyers fees, lost rental income - all of the above."

    Carl's lawyer Andrew Thomas suggested Katy's former lover Orlando, 48, had personally spent $5 million on repairs and renovations to the property.

    Katy said she had been involved in the project "as Orlando's partner and advisor".

    © 2025 Bang Showbiz, NZCity

     Other Entertainment News
     30 Aug: Henry Winkler thought his "life [was] over" when Ron Howard quit Happy Days
     30 Aug: George Clooney is said to have been forced to scale back his commitments at the Venice Film Festival after falling ill on the opening day
     30 Aug: Emma Heming Willis made the "hardest decision" by moving her husband Bruce Willis into a separate home
     30 Aug: Travis Kelce's mother has publicly shown her support for his engagement to Taylor Swift
     30 Aug: Denise Van Outen is unveiling her first album since 2003
     30 Aug: Daisy Edgar-Jones is determined to "help encourage new voices" in the acting world
     30 Aug: Victoria Beckham has battled "bad" skin "throughout her entire life"
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    A major boost for the Black Ferns ahead of their second Rugby World Cup match against Japan on Monday morning More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Meridian and Nova Energy have finalised a joint venture for a solar farm near Taupo - set to be one of the largest in New Zealand More...



     Today's News

    Entertainment:
    Henry Winkler thought his "life [was] over" when Ron Howard quit Happy Days 9:46

    Business:
    Meridian and Nova Energy have finalised a joint venture for a solar farm near Taupo - set to be one of the largest in New Zealand 9:27

    Entertainment:
    George Clooney is said to have been forced to scale back his commitments at the Venice Film Festival after falling ill on the opening day 9:16

    Entertainment:
    Emma Heming Willis made the "hardest decision" by moving her husband Bruce Willis into a separate home 8:46

    Politics:
    The Electoral Commission's gearing up for an increase in voting this weekend, in the Tamaki Makaurau by-election 8:17

    Entertainment:
    Travis Kelce's mother has publicly shown her support for his engagement to Taylor Swift 8:16

    Rugby League:
    The Roosters have spoiled Storm mentor Craig Bellamy's 600th NRL game as head coach with a shock 40-10 win in Melbourne 8:07

    Rugby:
    A major boost for the Black Ferns ahead of their second Rugby World Cup match against Japan on Monday morning 7:57

    International:
    Vladimir Putin says he wants peace, but on the front lines in Ukraine there's a different, 'terrifying' reality 7:57

    Rugby League:
    Warriors coach Andrew Webster has called out his side's lack of concentration after a 26-22 defeat by the Eels at Mt Smart 7:57


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2025 New Zealand City Ltd